Friday, July 12, 2002

Recognised In A Bookstore

This really great thing happened to me recently. Well, it made me feel pretty great, anyway.
I was at the counter at Ariel paying for a book (Celine's 'Journey to the End of the Night" for those who MUST know, and I'm that sort, too), then the other girl, the one who wasn't dealing with my purchase, said to me: "You're the guy that does SICK PUPPY, aren't you?" I said: "Yes, I am!" She asked how it was going, I told her that I'd just finished SP#13, and about launching a new anthology, and that I thought my idea of finishing with #13 was a fine idea indeed, and that from now on each series I publish will be 13-issues long. (Perhaps, in fact, I went on and on like an idiot. A depressing thought...)
Anyway, that was that. I said: "Bye!"; she said: "Bye!"; both smiling away. She had short, dark, 'modern' hairstyle and those college-type glasses those hip young girls wear these days. Cute; bookish and cute.
Well, I walked outta there feeling considerably taller than when I walked in, that's for sure. I felt quite big and powerful walking home - the underground publisher who gets recognised in hip Sydney bookstores!