Thursday, April 27, 2006

Everything You Need To Know?

Something I forgot but meant to note about Slaughterhouse Five was that Vonnegut mentioned The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky and how that book contained everything one needs to know about life. It's a pretty good quote, and I've been meaning to read The Brothers Karamazov, but in the last year I saw that book in the library about seven times and every single time I picked it up and saw once again how massive it was, and how small the words on every page were. Crime and Punishment was a tenth the size! I'm not Terry Goodkind, I don't have *The Magic*, sometimes I get intimidated by things. Yet what Mr Vonnegut wrote gave me a mad burst of confidence, so the next day I burst through the library doors windmilling my arms and went right up to that big fat Brothers Karamazov with the tiny writing, heaved it into my wheelbarrow and pushed it up to the desk sweating like a maniac, and borrowed it. Now, 223 pages in, I wonder what the hell I was worried about after all. What a great, great book. I'll try to write something about it when I'm finished.

No comments: