Thursday, May 19, 2005

Trip to Anders' House

This afternoon I rode my bicycle to Anders' house. The wheel was wobbling crazier than ever but it didn't collapse. Riding along, I watched the wheel wobbling and laughed, imagining it collapsing, the bike stopping dead and me continuing, forward and up a little, into the air, waving at people in cars, thinking I am flying, you are only driving. I imagine landing hard and the injuries I would sustain with a sick kind of wonder.
When I got to Anders' house, I noticed the gate latch was broken. I put my bike against the front wall of the house and went back to investigate the latch. It flipped one way then the other, it was all wrong, and broken for sure. Oh well. Things are always breaking. Sometimes I think life seems to be a matter of waiting for the next thing to break.
I walked inside and Anders was standing in the middle of the room. I walked in and stood in the room, close to the middle of it. Anders went out of the room, came back and gave me a beer. He walked out of the room again to another part of the house. I drank some of the beer then put it on the table. Sierra walked into the room and sat down and looked at the TV screen. I turned to look at the screen, wondering what she was watching. It was a movie called Friday. Ice Cube was in it. Anders came back into the room and showed me the DVD boxes. There were three of these Friday movies, the first one and two sequels. He told me that she had been watching these three movies every day for the last week. He said she only watches black movies. A slow grin came up on my face and I said, 'Black power'. Anders smiled, his eyes half open. We looked over at Sierra. Sierra didn't hear anything, only the sounds coming from the TV.
[333 words]

No comments: