Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Star Ocean


I have been playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the past two hours. I am up to the Kirsla Training Facility and it is a four-level dungeon and, God Almighty, I am hopelessly lost. I am supposed to meet the Stern Matron and her daughter somewhere on level three and they will give me a key for a locked door on level one. The dungeon is enormous and the map does not seem to give me sufficient information (like where are the goddam staircases huh?) and I keep running into monsters to fight and they are very strong and have all kinds of evil attacks and I really don't know what I am doing. The only option is to escape. The battle system at this stage of the game is still, for the most part, a mystery. What am I doing? This dungeon is driving me quite bananas. I have to stop, but somehow must find my way back to the level one save point. Impossible? Yep, it sure seems like it, but I will make it. Somehow.
Aside from this frustrating section, I want to say how AMAZING the music in this game is. I have been listening to the soaring, orchestral epic space opera styled four-minute intro theme over and over and over again. (And the accompanying visuals are breathtaking.) It's rare that the music in a videogame is so captivating and awesome that I go out of my way to learn the name of the composer, but I did with this game. The composer's name is Motoi Sakuraba, and he won an award for his work on another game, Baten Kaitos, which I aim to track down just as soon as I possibly can.
Meanwhile, it's back to the dungeon for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well have u tried looking every were and that pic isint inthe mine im in the shrine of kadan snd time fighint 5 mimi boses

Stratu said...

wow, two and a half years later I get a comment! thanks anyway, mabemonkey, but I quit playing the game around that time. i think about it now and then, and get the urge to go back to it and re-start, which i will eventually get around to. i'm better at JRPGs now so i will probably be able to get past that dungeon next time.