Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Interpreter

O how I look forward to Half Price Tuesdays at the cinema! The simple pleasures of life, those are sufficient for me.
I have been looking forward to seeing The Amityville Horror with great enthusiasm and today was to be the day. Imagine then my dismay when I discovered that yet another idiotic programming decision had been made. The next session was HOURS away. The second choice was The Interpreter so I took myself along and saw that.
God Almighty what a dull movie.
A woman who works as an interpreter at the United Nations accidentally overhears a plot to assassinate an African dictator who is coming there to give a speech about what a damn humanitarian he is really. She reports this to the authorities but they don't believe her, they think she is only trying to get attention, maybe because of her boring job, but then after a while they do believe her when they see with their own eyes a man threatening her while wearing an African mask. Then other boring things happen. Or maybe they were not boring but only made to appear very boring.
I should have suspected something because now that I think of it, when I heard something recently about the movie, a big deal was made about the fact that this is the first movie where they have filmed inside the United Nations. Is this exciting? Is this a reason to see the movie? Well, I guess it is if you work for the United Nations and you want to take your non-UN friends along and point out the place where you sit.
The Interpreter was the most BORING movie I have seen in years.

No comments: