Saturday, April 23, 2005

Woman Reading at Bus Stop

I walked to work yesterday. I haven't been riding my bike much because the front wheel is about to collapse. To get a new wheel or buy a new bike is a decision I know I will probably put off until the wheel does go ahead and collapse. I only hope it does not happen going downhill in morning peak hour traffic...If I don't write in here for more than three days running, you will know it happened at that time.
Anyway, I was walking to work and got up near Hyde Park, outside the IGA mini market where the bus stop is. I saw a woman standing at the bus stop and she was reading a book. This is a new one I haven't done before: I saw her and walked past, behind the bus stop, but my curiosity about what book she was reading tormented me to such a degree that I knew I had to find out no matter what. A bold move was required. I spun around and headed back towards the bus stop. She was in front of it, close to the street. I moved towards her and stepped down from the curb onto the street, ducking my head in a necessarily conspicuous manner and bending my neck at a severe angle, looking up at the cover of the book. I saw that it was a book by PD James. PD James? Is that person not a writer of detective novels? If I am not mistaken, she is welcome to them.
I circled back around the bus stop, wondering if anybody noticed my not-very-covert manoeuvre, but not caring much if they did, and continued my walk to work.

No comments: