Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Magic

Didn't go to work today. Why? Because I was sick. Am sick. Yes, sick again. Sick for the third time. Sick in May. Sick in June. Sick in July. Now I am sickety-sick of being sick. Although my voice has dropped a couple octaves and that is fun. Spent an hour making the sound of haunted house door creaking open and closed.
At least I finished my book, Wizard's First Rule. Will I read the next one in the series? No sir I won't. Terry Goodkind is no George RR Martin, that's for sure. And the quote at the top of the book about how this book would sweep the country like Tolkien's work did, that's ridiculous. Did it sweep the country like Tolkien's stuff did? I doubt it. But could it have? I know a helluva lot of people bought it, and the series is now up to part nine or something. But what about the Samuel character who says "Mine! Gimme!" all the time and is clearly based on Tolkien's Gollum? Was that a tribute to Tolkien? Probably. Yet a poorly executed one. And what about all this *THE MAGIC* business? Whenever something strange happens it is because THE MAGIC did it. This thing could float in the air because THE MAGIC was in it. Or the man could not move because of THE MAGIC. THE MAGIC this and that. Goodkind definitely abuses THE MAGIC. Maybe Goodkind sells so many books because of THE MAGIC? Goodkind, is that your secret?

4 comments:

BixBloc said...

...I still say you won't go wrong with..."The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"...by Stephen R Donaldson.
...Give It a Try!!!...The first book of the trilogy is called
"Lord Foul's Bane"

Anonymous said...

ha ha making noises like an haunted house door...love that.. you sound as fuckered as me:P. too bad you sick, being sick is not much fun but you get to skip work and read... whooo eeeeee!
~cheers

Stratu said...

bixbloc: thanks! i haven't forgotten your recommendation, it is on my list. book was out when i went to get it. but now i have started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville with the scientist and his girlfriend with the insect head. influence of Burroughs and Kafka?
me: ha ha! fuckered as you? could it be? if you make haunted house sounds too then yes perhaps indeed it is true! YEAH! WOO!

Anonymous said...

ccrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaakkkkkkk...whooosh..crrrreeeaaakkk....whoooooooooooo....crack....crack..cccrrreeaaakkkk.. ow fuck i stubbed my toe..... crrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaakkk...whhhoooosssshh.......:P