Friday, March 25, 2005

Army Barracks

I went out for a walk tonight. I decided to walk around the perimeter of the army barracks. Whenever I walk past it, I always wonder what is going on in there, what are they up to. I think of how much neater their rooms must be than mine. It doesn't bother me because they are told to clean their room. I can do it, or not. If I have something I think is more important, I will do it, and to hell with the dusting. There is always something more important to do than dusting. Anyway, I wonder what they are up to in there besides cleaning their rooms and shining their shoes. What do they do at night? I try to see in but the wall is too high. A big sandstone wall in the way, all around the edge. I can't see much looking through the main gate, and if I stop outside the gate and look in, the guard looks at me. So I start walking again, uncomfortable to have the army guard looking at me. All around it there is the big wall. At regular sections along the wall there are holes that were put there to shoot out of, and they are angled, wider on the outside than the inside, so a gun can fire left and right. Depressingly, these have been sealed up with concrete so I can't look in. At one point, I see the roof of a building over the high wall. What is that building? Is there anybody in there? If there is, what are they doing in there? It is very quiet on the other side of the wall. All I can hear are crickets. How many army men are in the barracks? They are very quiet. Maybe they are cleaning their rooms. Are they allowed to go out at night? Maybe they have been allowed to go out tonight. I still want to know what is on the other side of the wall. The wall is pretty high, it looks like thirteen feet. I think about bringing a ladder, setting it against the wall, climbing up, sitting on the wall, pulling the ladder up and putting it down on the other side and climbing down. What would I see? How far would I get? I could put charcoal on my face. Are there motion detectors? Do soldiers patrol the grounds? What would happen if I was caught? They wouldn't find it amusing, or appreciate my curiosity. I realise it would not be a good idea to climb over the army barracks wall with a ladder. I walk back home.

No comments: