Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Constantine


I went to work today but went home sick before lunch. I haven't been sleeping too good lately and have been feeling pretty damn run down. This writing-every-night business can sure take it out of a guy.

Anyway, when I left work I didn't go home. It's BARGAIN TUESDAY at the cinema and right now, until near the end of March, all movies are $5.00 a pop. You can't rent a new release for that. So was I gonna go straight home, even feeling run down? The hell I was. It's just sitting, and looking, and listening, after all.

I went and saw Constantine and boy was it a stinker. I used to read the Hellblazer comics in the early nineties, and back then I thought they were pretty good. The movie was so bad, now I'm wondering if those comics were any good.

So what was wrong with this movie? The dialogue was terrible, every five minutes I was shaking my head, looking at other people in the theatre wondering if they also thought it was lame. It was hard to tell, I could only see the back of their heads, and it was dark. Keanu Reeves tried hard to be Constantine, and sometimes I found myself sort of cheering him on, You can do it, you did that line OK, keep going! but ultimately it was a disappointing performance, plus along with the stupid story that was at no point compelling, the guy really had the deck stacked against him.

Oh well, at least the audience members behaved themselves and didn't make a peep.

No comments: