Wednesday, March 09, 2005

In The Office, In The Woods

I'm alone in the office, my COLLEAGUE has left and the boss never even arrived, she took a sick day. Fifteen minutes to go then I'm gone, going to Brother Mikel's for dinner. He lives over in Balmain, the opposite side of the city to where I live.
But here I am. Normally there would be the hum of office machines, but now our office cricket is also making some noise, talking to me, or singing, or trying to communicate in some way. I like the sound of it, this at-night-in-the-woods type sound. Strange to hear in an office.
A woman from another part of the building came in to drop a letter off, and I directed her attention to the sound. Is that a cricket?, I asked her. She appeared to like the sound, too, because she got a big smile. She wasn't sure if it was a cricket. It could be., she admitted.
Yes, it could be, alright. Let's say it is until we find out otherwise. But my little friend in the roof, he is silent now. He stopped, suddenly. The office machines rule and hum once more.
I am out the door.

No comments: