Thursday, March 10, 2005

Wall Clock Failure

Our wall clock at work broke last week, I figure it's been broken a long time because every few weeks I gotta climb up on the desk and change the damn battery. But this time it really broke, it stopped for good. Anyway, when my COLLEAGUE phoned the storeman to ask for a replacement, he told her he don't give out clocks no more. COLLEAGUE and the boss couldn't believe it, they were scandalised, started huffing and rolling their eyeballs, like it would make a difference. I climbed up on the desk, pulled the clock off the wall and threw it in the bin. There was silence. A bold move will achieve that effect!
That happened early last week, and ever since then, many times each day, I look up at the wall where the clock used to be, I see it not there, and I feel like a lab rat who constantly returns to the little slot for the piece of cheese, not knowing that the scientist collapsed and died from a massive heart attack days ago. Nobody is there to put the cheese in. And there is no clock on the wall because the government no longer supplies us with a new clock when we ask for one.
Today the boss decided to do something about it. An hour before lunch she declared that herself and two other COLLEAGUES were off to Ikea to buy a new wall clock. She promised it would be the GROOVIEST wall clock in the entire museum.
You PROMISE?, I said.
About three hours later she returned with a box and gave it to me. There was a clock in there, I was sure of it.
I got it out of the box and couldn't figure out how to get the back off the goddam thing, I had to put the battery in. Boss took it and had a go, but after five seconds fiddling with it, I could see she was ready to throw it at the wall it was supposed to be carefully mounted on. I quickly took it back off her, and figured it out. I put the battery in, jumped on the desk and attached it to the wall.
Boss stood back marvelling. She had damn good taste, she knew it, and now we were surely reminded of it.
It looks fabulous!, she cried.
It looks pretty stupid, I said, watching her.
Naturally, she didn't hear me.
Doesn't it!, she exclaimed, wringing her hands in an ecstasy of triumph.
Her eyes were shining, her taste in wall clocks was breathtaking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go in to work early one day, rip her clock off the wall, and put this one in its place:

http://www.kit-cat.com/

When the boss comes in and goes wild and asks what happened to her clock, just look at her like she's crazy and say "what are you talking about? That clock's been up there for as long as I can remember. . ."

Stratu said...

Man, that is the coolest damn clock I have ever seen. When I get this clock and replace boss's stupid clock with it, and she sees it, I will post the photo of her facial expression on this blog. Haw!