Friday, February 04, 2005

Crispin Glover Mask

I woke up this morning, and remembered a fragment from a dream. I had a mask that transformed my face into the face of Crispin Glover. It wasn't a Crispin Glover mask, but some blank kind of thing I put on my face, and it stuck there, and my face turned into Crispin Glover's face.

Why Crispin Glover? I know why. Here's why...

Andre's girlfriend Cheryl loaned me a movie recently, It was called Willard. She said, "You'll like it, Crispin Glover is in it." I asked her, "Is that Danny Glover's brother?" She said, "No, he's a white guy." But as soon as I saw him in the movie, I knew him, how could I ask if he was Danny Glover's brother? I'd seen him in movies, and I knew I liked him, but couldn't remember what I'd seen him in.

Anyway, Willard is about a strange guy who lives in a mansion with his sick mother. He has a job and is regularly tormented and humiliated by his boss. He doesn't stand up for himself, he takes the abuse and walks back to his desk. We instantly have sympathy for him, we're on his side and all we want is for him to take a stand against his rotten boss. One day his mother tells him she heard rats in the basement and he's gotta get rid of 'em. When he puts sticky paper all over the basement floor, in the middle of the night he hears a commotion, so he goes down there and sees a white rat with half its body stuck to the sticky paper, so its front legs are trying to run, but the back half is stuck on the paper. But he can't bear to kill the rat, so he gets some kind of liquid chemical and uses it to melt the glue and set the rat free. The rat becomes his only friend. But the rat has a family, so he feeds them. Before long he's got dozens of rats and he starts training them.

Well, that's all I'm gonna write about it, so I'll just say that Crispin Glover's performance was so goddam awesome and intense, I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. And the fact that my boss is some kind of female version of Willard's boss made me think about it all the more.

So here's to Crispin Glover, and to my Crispin Glover dream mask, and to tracking down every movie he's ever appeared in!

No comments: